Provide Your Child With Optimal Breathing & Improved Oral Health
A common misconception of orthodontic treatment is that it treats a problem that is primarily aesthetic. Indeed, the confidence that comes from straight teeth and a beautiful smile can benefit you throughout your life. Orthodontics is about more than looks, however. When a child's facial structure is guided properly, there can be lasting positive effects on the way they breathe. As an orthodontist who offers airway orthodontics in Miami, North, and South Beach, FL, Dr. Rubensteen strives to provide orthodontic treatment that does more than straighten teeth – he seeks to provide your child with a lifetime of healthy breathing.
Why Is the Way You Breathe Important?
You already know breathing is important, of course. It's a fundamental function of life! What many people don't recognize, however, is the wide spectrum between the states of "breathing" and "not breathing." It is possible to breathe in a way that optimally benefits your overall health. On the other hand, it is also possible to breathe in a way that forces your body to compensate for limited oxygen levels.
If your body regularly struggles for proper oxygen levels, numerous long-lasting health problems can result, including raising your risk for high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. In younger children, chronic mouth breathing has even been definitively shown to change the shape of the developing face.
When Should Your Child See An Orthodontist?
If your child demonstrates any of the following symptoms, then we recommend scheduling an evaluation with Dr. Rubensteen:
- Chronic lethargy
- Breathing through the mouth instead of the nose
- Rapid shallow breathing
- Chronic nighttime restlessness, waking, or nightmares
- Periods of no breathing or breath-holding while asleep
What Is Airway Orthodontics?
Airway orthodontics seeks to address the underlying cause of obstructed breathing, so your child can enjoy a lifetime of optimal breathing and improved overall health. During your child's initial exam and diagnosis with Dr. Rubensteen, he will seek to answer the following questions:
- Has the improper formation of the maxilla, mandible, or other components of the jaw and airway resulted in limited airflow during breathing?
- Are there other reasons for restricted airflow that are better addressed by another medical specialist?
- Has the patient had to compensate for limited airflow while breathing? Has this resulted in improper habits, such as accelerated breathing, tongue placement, or body posture?
- Have these compensations and/or genetic factors influenced the shape, size, or position of the jaw and face?
If Dr. Rubensteen identifies any issues that could be helped with orthodontic treatment, he will discuss his recommendations with you during your child's initial consultation. Airway Orthodontic treatment is most effective in young children before their facial structure has fully developed.
Schedule Your Child's Assessment for Airway Orthodontics in Miami, North & South Beach, FL, Today
To experience our 5-star-rated orthodontic care, schedule your Complimentary Dr. Rubensteen Smile Analysis today by calling (305) 672-2260 or clicking here for our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Digital Scans and Pictures as Needed
- Smile Analysis
- Custom Treatment Plan
During your appointment, we will take the time to answer all your questions about our advanced treatments and technology, our flexible payment options, and anything else you may want to know about us!